Thursday, November 6, 2008

What Happened? / What's Zappenin!



Wow, what an amazing past few days. Halloween weekend was more fun than a thirty something should have! Lots of people on bikes and good times at the Pumpkin Peddler. Have I mentioned that Asheville is a cool town to live in. A good 50 people plus were out in costume and taking it to the streets on Friday night. Then it was off to party with a few hundred more people at the Wedge post bike ride and the Brew Crew even got a gravel lot derby going. The competition was fierce and to my amazement nothing but our livers were injured. We had a number of good riders going for it and it came down to Adam and Marshall dueling it out in the gravel lot with Marshall taking the win from an owl on a fixed gear with skinny tires. Don't mess with the owl... Marshall was the proud winner of a RAD t-shirt which by the way are available. If you don't get the costume, I was Crew Jones for Halloween. Who is Cru Jones you ask, well he was only the coolest bmx kid to come out of 80's and main character in the movie RAD. If you want a t-shirt let me know and just like in the movie they are ten bucks and proceeds go to the RAD Racing Team also known as Pisgah Brew Crew. Pick one up and maybe I will get to race Hell Track.


Saturday was a rest day and there was a plan to lead a ride Saturday night on Farlow Gap. Bruce and I packed up the gear and made our way to the SORBA gathering at Cove Creek in hopes of keeping the party going and combining it with a downhill ride that would offer more opportunities for the type of destruction one should welcome on the Day of the Dead. Well, the SORBA crew is a great bunch but I think our need for a good time out weighed the need to climb to the top of Farlow and risk life and bike so we hung out for an hour or so and sampled some beer and chili and made our way back to town for the Day of the Dead Dance Party. It was a good call and the Apple Pie Shooters combined with killer dance tunes proved to be more fun than a potential hike out of Farlow Gap with broken bones, bike and camping in the cold with a bunch of dudes.


Tuesday was another reason to celebrate and a big high five to Obama, his staff, volunteers and supporters who made it happen. I am feeling better about the direction of the country and our place in the world already. I'm not expecting miracles from him (at least in the first term) but anything is better than the past eight years of right wing - neocon - world domination in the name of Jesus philosophy that president asshole brought to the table.


Alright, enough ranting. Well this weekend looks to be another good one. I am heading to Pisgah Brewing tonight to grab a keg of Organic Goodness for the race / gathering this weekend. Although I am not feeling like "racing" 42 miles in Pisgah on a single speed this weekend I signed up and paid my dues so I will be on the line and ready to do it come Sunday. The Swank 65 is a good race and hopefully my attitude changes and I find my legs when Todd says "GO". It doesn't help that I have a crew of friends heading up for the race and it's difficult to catch up with them as you bomb Farlow Gap. It also doesn't help that my roommate's band, High Windy, is playing Jack of the Wood on Saturday night and I have plans not to miss the show. Keep riding and keep rockin' good people, see you on the trail.


Jut Rut

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Where'd ya get the Rad Racing shirts? Did you have them made? If you have any left that you need to get rid of I might take one.

Martin