Tuesday, June 17, 2008

I'm a Loser Baby...

Yea, last week I lost my Planet X. Yesterday I rode Kitsuma Peak yesterday and lost my water bottle before even making it all the way to the bottom. I stopped at the road to fix my disc brake and realized I lost my I-pod. The speakers stopped playing music shortly after the descent began but I thought they were just turned down to low to hear it over the voice in my head telling my to slow down. After riding 5 days in a row my legs felt dead and although I climbed Kitsuma with four dabs instead of walking all the way up as I have done in ORAM, I was done. When I realized I had lost my i-pod somewhere at the top I told Bruce and Benet to go ahead and complete our goal of riding up to Star Gap and then riding to the top of Heartbreak Ridge on single speeds and back down then on to the Kitsuma parking lot. Apparently they didn't really feel up to the task either so they climbed back up to the top going backwards from the direction of ORAM. Damn, going that way hurts! If you think going up Kitsuma is bad I suggest you ride it backwards and you will appreciate the fact that they send you up the 100 switchbacks. Well yes I am a loser but I must have good karma because all that I have lost has come back to me. As you know the Planet X came back to me on Thursday, I found my i-pod at the top of Kitsuma and even my water bottle was spotted in the woods by Benet as we made our way back to the top. Two hours of climbing and ultra fast descents and I called it a day. If you need a short power ride this is a GOOD one! It was back to Bruce's pad to give the bikes some love and work on my bike build for the Enduro.


I feel like a kid at Christmas... The Enduro De Ocho is almost here and it has consumed me. If you knew half the story and are planning on attending you would probably have the same problem. Last night I was up until midnight getting the Enduro Bike ready for action. Here is a sneak peak...


I am adding some gears to the mix for what will be a true test of bike selection. Since you may only ride one bike for the entire weekend, bike selection will be key to winning the overall MBAMBW Title. I figured the Planet X came back to me for a reason and what a better reason than winning my own event. Before you start saying that I should not be eligible I say "throw your own enduro and if I show up and you beat me I won't complain". All joking aside, winning will not be that easy as there are some big names ready to sign up and give it hell so I continue to add events that will level the playing field and add a little chance to the whole thing. Again I jest and will not be eligible to win, not that you will really win anything except the title of the Most Bass Ass Mountain Biker in the World Title and whatever crazy contraption of a trophy I can come up with in the next few days and some super swag from local shops, Pisgah Works and Swiftwick Socks. This is an event where everyone one is a winner and your entry fee for getting on the bus will be well worth it since there will be free beer provided all weekend. Details will be up on the Enduro Blog tomorrow so check it, check it out. If your planning on training for this one I suggest drink, ride, and work on your sleep deprivation skills. That's all for now. Jut

No comments: