Monday, June 9, 2008

Avoiding it will make it go away...

I know one day I will have to go back to working more and riding less but until that day comes I am making the most of my current situation. I have realized that in life you better get it while you can and I can, therefore I will. The good times are here and if feels like summertime in Asheville. It is warming up here but the heat isn't as bad as it was and is currently back in Nashville. It's more of a smack to the cheek instead of the kick to the nads feeling of the heat/humidity in Nashville. I give myself one or two summers here till I forget how awful the heat humidity is in Nashville and start bitching about how hot it is in Asheville but until then I know I have it pretty good. Although we are breaking records here in town a quick trip to N. Mills and it drops another 5-10 degrees. It doesn't help my sleep situation that my house doesn't have A/C but I figure it will speed up the acclimating process for riding in the heat and give me some preparation for summer camping for two months as I head west for the worlds. I don't mind the heat that much but the sweating part sucks. I have started looking at routes differently and strategically planing rides that end around a nice creek or river. The mountain streams are cold enough to make you snap back from any suffering you experienced riding in the heat and take the pain away. Speaking of riding, creeks and good times, last week was another stellar one that kicked off with a tour of North Mills with M.J. and Benet. We hit several new trails and pushed the envelop for a good three or four hours. A few urban rides, late nights, root ball and music over the course of the week and it was time for a solo trip to Turkey Pen on Friday. Rode Mullinax, Squirrel Gap, Cantrel Creek, swimming hole, South Mills. Saturday was time to give back some love to the trail that never stops giving the love. Benet and I went to Bent Creek and hooked up with 120 plus other trail users to work on Green's Lick for National Trail Day. It was truly inspiring to see how many people came out and how much work was accomplished in one day. I hopped on the jump building crew with Adam heading things up. We built two berms and a giant kicker that offers several lines with options for transfers, step ups, step down or a two foot step up to a drop in. I am heading back there this afternoon to hit it and will try to get a few photos to post up tomorrow. The trail work day was followed up by a party with kegs of Green Man brew and cookout. Mountain bike videos on projectors and a good crew of people made it a great time and post mountain bike party we hit West Asheville for more good times and cocktails. Called it a night and made our way back to the Crow's Nest for some much needed sleep. The night was tame enough to make the 10 am ride from Daniel Ridge trail head with Clay and Tomato. We explored the backside of the Fish hatchery and rode out to Graveyard falls and then took the back way to Farlow. Benet was with us for the tour and was a Farlow virgin so that added the fun of making the decent. Benet rode incredibly strong and didn't let the rocks get the best of him despite being a Farlow newbie and I pulled off the best decent I have ever had on Farlow with two dabs on the big rock section and cleaning all the shoots with the exception of the stairs to 90 degree turn, wash out section and boulder filled creek crossings. Once again a cold mountain stream on Daniel Ridge washed away the dirt, sweat and party slime just before getting back to the car. Feeling content as one can feel we made our way back to Asheville for some food and rest on the couch before getting the call from Pisgah Bruce for a beer Downtown. So it was back on the Surly for one more ride and of course "a beer" turned into four and then a trip to the store for a six pack and back to Bruce's with a few of his lady friends for beer, pizza and Singapore Slings. Made it home by 4:00 and slept till noon. Not a bad way to avoid the bummer life for a week. You better get it while you can...

Jut

No comments: