Monday, March 31, 2008

My Cup Runeth Over


Kicking back in Pisgah for three days with no cell reception, 4 kegs, tons of food and 40 people on mtn bikes does the soul right. On Thursday I headed to Pisgah thinking I was hooking up with the Tomato, Pisgah Bruce and Ohio Rob for some early season camping and a ride in Dupont on Friday. When I pulled up and was questioned by Big Jay at the entrance to the Cove I was lucky enough to be able to drop names "the tomato sent me" and get into the party with the cool kids for what turned out to be a stellar couple of days. Nothing beats the feeling of having nothing to do but whatever you felt like doing (I did a lot) for a few days with a ton of new people with similar likes. I arrived and party commenced. Welcomed by Tomato and Purple Rain then started in on the Porter. As the numbers around the fire wained my buzz only gained strength. Figuring Bruce and Rob were going to be no shows I was almost ready to call it as it looked Team Yazoo had the party win in the bag. Just as I was thinking it was over, what is that I see on the horizon but the white subaru with Bruce and Rob at the helm. Oh well sleeping is overrated anyways, so I give the porter a few more pumps and it' on to stories of N. GA and TN trail exploits, bananas roasting over an open fire and tent hunting.



The morning fog was lifted with the help of waffles and ten cups of coffee at the Huddle House and it was off to Dupont sans the Tomato. While the Tomato was off destroying another bike Bruce, Rob and I rode the silky smooth and sometimes rock filled trails of Dupont. Amazing trails and big props to the crews that keep them so luscious. Bruce and Rob rode at an enjoyable pace at they had just finished riding at Ducktown and N. GA the previous two days so the tempo stayed friendly. Numerous waterfalls, a thousand little jumps, some good log riding (thanks for the documentation Rob). We headed back to Asheville for showers and beers and skewers and a few supplies for the rest of the weekend at the cove. I hit the road and got the cove around 11 as things around the fire were starting to get started. Once again good times were had as the bottle of shine warmed things up from the inside out. There must be a vortex at the cove because next thing I know it was past one and once again yazoo was taking home the prize along with a hearty band of locals.

Saturday morning came and the foggy morning fit my disposition perfectly. It also allowed time to properly prepare for a ride with beers and breakfast. While the rain fell the dogs Buddy, Shade, and Judah played frisbee with the Tomato, Dicky practiced his vertical endurance skills, and I watched the rain fall. Then from up the road Jody walks up sans car that happens to be stuck in the middle of the creek. A posse was gathered and with Jays truck and chain ready to assist some one made the better call to push it out rather than just rip the front end off. Dogs played in the creek as shoes were removed and 10 mtn bikers braved the cold water and jumped in to creek to push out the car. When the car came out water flowed from the tail pipe for a good 10 minutes as we looked on wondering how much water can a mazda exhaust system possibly hold. (apparently a LOT) With Jody's car back on dry land and the clock hitting noon the ride finally happened. Two group rides were called and I opted for the more enjoyable route at a leisure pace. A few nights of winning the party and the treat of more cold rain had cast doughs on thoughts of keeping up with Dicky for a monster tour of pisgah so I kept it on the fun side with a short muddy adventure. More of the same but better as pig and pints flowed.

Sunday was a day of rest and an open house. By Monday I was as good as new and ready for action. I hope someone out there was lucky enough to see the Dirtbombs when they just came through Nashville. They played the Orange Peel last night and hot damn was it good. Way too short but good while it lasted. Drinks kicked off at the Crow's Nest early and I found a new poison of my liking Black Cherry Vodka and Red Bull. Benet, Bruce, Ty and I hit the purple sack and through back a few of my new concoctions and it was off to the show with the crew. We got our rock on and kept it rolling till the early morning at the Yacht Club and Bruce managed to talk his way out of a BUI, woooooo. That's all for now I am tired of typing and need a nap. Sweet Dreams and stay out jail boys...



Jut


1 comment:

ExtrmTao said...

Nice report yo!

Good on ya for riding the log at the bottom of the airstrip with style as well.

Can't wait to do it again.