Monday, February 4, 2008

The Icycle has Melted



The Icycle was this weekend and all I have to say is "good times". Headed out Friday to hook up with some of the Yazoo Crew and check into our cabin. Beers were consumed a downhill course was created in our front yard and the weekend was on. Elliot, Dan D, Dunn and Kurt made the trip up in time to get out for a ride around Fontana Village. Great stuff to explore and play on everywhere, the place is basicly a playground for bicycle and play we did. Our cabin just happened to be at the highest point on the hill so everytime we rode somewhere via bike we got to climb all the way back up top. So needless to say I got in my climbing miles this weekend. After a little backwoods urban type ride we made some dinner, more beers, and decided we were appropriately buzzed for a few night runs on the downhill course. We would pedal up from our cabin, bomb down and meet up with the volunteer driver and hauled ass back up the hill for another. The first night the trail was covered with leaves and very slick after it rained all night on Thurday and Friday morning. Some exciting runs and we called it a day kicking it Yazoo Crew style well into the night.
I love races that start at noon! I slept in and rose to a good cup of coffee and one enormous pancake prepared by Dunn. The thing was so big I couldn't even finish it. We roll down the hill around 11:00, sign up and roll around with a boys for a few. In pedaling around I noticed every other bike was a single speed. I haven't seen this many people lined up racing ss since Sea Otter or the worlds in 05! Turns out there are 40 riders all racing with one gear and by the looks of the bikes there better be some fast dudes here. We line up for a Lemonds start that was fortunetly just a short sprint to the bikes. Across the field I am able to make out my bike since I had red grips so I actually run for the bike in hopes of a decent start. the race began with a short grassy climb to a small section of pavement then you hit a muddy wall of mountain side. Wanted to ride but it was pointless so I jump off and run up the hill. My heart is coming through my chest and I am only 60 seconds into this race. I made my way into 3rd by the top of the run up and ask myself what have I done. I have basicly set myself up to suffer for the next two laps knowing that I am in a podium spot but first suffer miserably for the next hour or so to hang on to it. My heart rate never comes down and all I think about is the 36 other people that are trying to catch me. I press on and 3/4 of the lap down I am caught. Feeling rough as I head into a downhill section covered in leaves I spend too much time on the brakes and sure enough a dude on a surly catches me and pulls away. Spent the next lap or so looking for him but was never able to pull him back in. Lucky for me though as I didn't see another rider except to pass a few people with gears. Good race and the trails were in great shape considering the rain 24 hours prior. Took home a 4th outta 40 or so guys.

Next it was back to homebase to replace all the calories I burned with some of the best post race beverage in the world, BEER. Me and the crew brought enough of the good stuff to keep the party rockin all weekend so we threw down while I put the rigid fork on the Sycip to get her ready for the late night festivities. The downhill race began around 7:30 and we, the "HARDASS" class were the last ones to get to go. This of course just meant more time to drink beer and get drunk so we headed back down to the cabin for two more pints then hung out by the raging can of fire at the start with Ivory and tried to see who could be the loudest and most obnoxious of the hardasses before we started our race. Ivory and I have a more than healthy (make that unhealthy) spirit of compitition between the two of us so I really didn't care who beat me as I came across the line before him. I just beat him last summer at Fontana to take 2nd and he finished 3rd in the ss crosscountry race so he was looking for payback too. Ivory bust out his secret weapon before the start, a 42 x 16 gear but it would prove to be no match for the fur and a 32 x 17. My desire for once again staying a few seconds in front of Ivory pushed me to lay down the second fasted time the night in the H.A. class and Ivory took home 3rd. Better luck next time and remember, one secret weapon at a time there wildman.

More beers and a party. Free kegs flowing everywhere and a house full of drunken mtb freaks made the post race as fun as any race I can remember (or not remember). In our cabin we had drums, guitars, harmonicas, a gaint speaker hooked up to the laptops and a box that rocked. We kicked it hard till 1am when M.J. proposed a night mission. Normally at 1am after drinking/riding all day I would have had to think about it for a second but the time was right for one more ride... We set off with Matt leading the way up the mountain as Cal and I tag along. A good hour at night riding ridge trail with a bed of leaves 6 inches thick made me feel like I was laying down fresh tracks in the snow on my board. We hiked up some seriously steep hill looking for the trail we wanted only to find a good spot to chill have enjoy one last beer, a few minutes with nature and what ever animal was making the wicked sound by the rock overhang. Back on the bikes with one less light I lead us out as Matt rode blind behind me in deep leaves over rocks and fallen trees. We made it back with no crashes, hit the front yard down hill once more and called it a night.

Great weekend and if you happen to be a couple hours from Fontana next year on the first weekend of Feb this is the place to be. One last note from my sponsor that I would like to share with you all. This came to me this today after emailing Linus this morning.

"I'd be glad to sponsor the team again this year. The wool jerseys are the most popular items we sell at the brewery, even at the price. We sold our last one back in November and actually had two people fighting over who saw it first. We need to get some more in stock.

I appreciate the exposure that the team is giving our brand. I'd like to do more to promote the team's successes at the different races throughout the year. Could you send me more info throughout the year and I'll start putting it in our newsletter. I'd also like to get some kind of group picture put up in the taproom, something like "What's Happening with Team Yazoo" where we can post some news about the team."

So fellas, let's keep our sponsor up to date on the what's up. And to everyone out there, make 2008 your best year ever.

Peace.

Jut

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like you had a great weekend! Great job on the 4th place finish and then 2nd!!!

That's great news on the Yazoo front.

Hope to see you in March at Snake!

-Greg

ExtrmTao said...

Nice work this weekend, Adam is the cat that passed you on the SURLY.

Peace

Jut Rut said...

Adam is one fast dude and a very nice guy as well. It was great meeting so many good people here in the area that I now call home. Can't wait to do some good rides with all the Asheville crew. Take care extrmtao. Look me up for a ride sometime.

. said...

right on. 2nd and 3rd for the team.