Saturday, January 9, 2010

Let's break some hearts..

It's that time of year again. It's cold as hell, my bikes have been collecting dust and the idea of riding my rollers tempts me more and more each day. I have yet to break them out but the need to sweat out the good times from the Those Darlins show on Thursday may the final straw. I am not sweating it though. I literally rode my ass off over the last two years and I know that with warmer temps coming I will be back out there again soon enough. However, there are two events in the near future that will require some level of fitness and focus on a bicycle.

The Icycle is in a few weeks. I have been to this party / race for the past two years and it is by far the most fun race of the year that I don't put on. It has the proper ratio of bike racing to good times that I look for in a race / competition these days. This year I will just be racing the DH and skip the morning XC race. I have plans to race suspension class this year as well as the Hardass class now that I have a squishy bike. I am the reigning Hardass winner, and took 2nd in 2008 so I once again have my eyes on that prize. We will see how the suspension class goes which to be already seems like an exercise in your ability to comfortably drift in the turns and maneuver the final tight right near the finish. I will unfortantaly miss out on the Icycle after party as Monotonix are playing the Rocket Club in Asheville. I saw Monotonix in 08 at the New French Bar and have been looking for another fix of unadulterated rock n rock ever since.

Next on the list is the Heartbreaker. This one happens on Valentines Day and is a Super Super D race. Taking place on one of the premier descents in the area, Heartbreak Ridge is one of the trails that sold me on Asheville a long time ago. Last year we had a three way tie for first thanks to some shotty scoring. This year we will have a new time keeper and will be able to declare an official Heartbreaker. The party will continue at Pisgah Brewing post race and I hope to have a kick ass band there too. The event is free, the beer will be awesome and many of the people who attended last year felt it was one of the best races they had been too. I must admit it was a fun one despite the 5 mile climb required to participate. This race will test you and if it doesn't warm up soon will provide an incredible opportunity to test out those snow tires you have been saving for just such an occasion.

So far 2010 is off to a great start. I've been laying low on the party scene, staying productive and feeling very optimistic about the year ahead. Yes, I'am moving on and it's all good. Wishing everyone out there all the best in the year ahead.

Jut

1 comment:

ExtrmTao said...

Icycle - check
Heartbreaker - check

See you soon.