Monday, February 23, 2009

It's Monday. It's Business Time.























A quick weekend wrap up then it's time for some business. Well, the weekend once again rocked in Asheville. Bruce and I made our trip with M.J. to Black Mtn for some Old Toll action on Thursday followed by brews at Pisgah Brewing. Saturday was the annual Bike Love Event and once again I came, partied, and somehow made it home alive. Asheville on Bikes is in the business of showing bike people of all sorts a good time and they definatly know how to do it right. While having fun they also manage to lead the way in improving the bike scene here in town and keeping a very watchful eye on issues we should all take note of as cyclists. This years Bike Love was even better than last as I realized how many wonderful people I have had the chance to get to know over the past year. The music was great, people danced, the beer flowed all night, and there were bikes and love all round. Sule and Rachel, you rock and thanks for all your hard work..

Now, I know people check this blog to find out what crazy stuff I have been doing lately but let me take just a minute to make an announcement or two that will help me Avoid the Bummer Life for another year. So here it goes, I'm going to talk business..



I mentioned my ride on Thursday but didn't talk about how freaking cold it was. Old Toll took a toll on my face, hands, and any exposed skin. With temps in the 20's and after a taste of 60 degree weather the week before 20 degrees felt COLD. However, thanks to the new sponsor at least my feet stayed warm. I have been wearing the Swiftwick talls all winter long and so far I have yet to go for the winter shoes. I like the feeling of my regular Sidis and with the Swiftwicks on the feet I tend to be just fine.



Now, Swiftwick and my feet go way back to the early days when the company was created and run from the living room of one of my finest friends, Sharp Emmons. I personally witnessed hundreds of socks laying around the living room and Sharp sending out socks in recycled cereal boxes for the first year of it's existence. Well, things do change but fortunately some things do stay the same. The change is that has occurred is Swiftwicks growth. No more boxes of socks in the living room, kitchen, and dining room and no more sock art work sitting on Sharps computer screen. No the company has grown in to a real deal company and packaging is now done by someone other than the owner. But the cool thing is that they still make the best socks and they make them just a few hours south of here. The Yazoo Crew were one of the first teams to run swiftwicks and I still have the Yazoo Swiftwick Prototype. It says a lot about a sock to still have them holding up three years later after countless miles and nights on the dance floor. Well, a few years later and Swiftwick and the Pisgah Brew Crew are now working together to bring you some sweet custom socks to keep your feet feeling fine. They will be available at Pisgah Brewing Company or direct from the Brew Crew so keep your eyes open and I will post up once we wrap up our design. Thanks Swiftwick and now I can join the ranks of Team Dicky and Thad in shameless promotion of a great sock. My one special request as an official Swiftwick sponsored team is getting the Pisgah Brew Crew Grape Cape into production for next winter. Sharp and the boys know what I am talking about and I am still waiting for that prototype..





In other business. Our sponsor that keeps us rolling with style and precession has a new website. Check it out and buy a few sets of wheels. I have been riding their enduro rims laced up to the Mountain hubs for over a month now and I can say my rides have never been better. These wheels go where you point them and never falter. Another very redeemable quality is the fact they they are made down the street from my house. Buying local is big these days and it is comforting to know that your money goes to support people who ride bikes just like you. I have spent some quality time hanging with the I-9 crew and they are a great bunch of core riders. Every piece that goes into one of their amazing hubs is made in good ole' Asheville and they even turn them into a rainbow of colors in-house these days. If you want to go fast and do it in style just click here.


One more item of business then I am done. Drum roll please...




Gearheads-Asheville is up and running. I have finished the planning, the website, the marketing and the date is set (April 24th-26th). With things still slow in the Real Estate world it was time to think of something new to do with my time. Since it has been 10 years since I punched a clock the idea of working for someone just wasn't an option. The Gearheads concept came to me after a few brainstorming lunches with my neighbor Cheryl and we have been running with it since the Fall. I am the kind of person that doesn't like to present something till it looks it's best so I have been working on in secret till I was ready to make the announcement. Well, the day is here and I couldn't be more excited to say that on April 24th-26th Asheville is going to see the largest Outdoor Adventure Gear Sale and Expo the Southeast has ever witnessed. I have rented the Ag Center for a weekend and will be host to individuals, outdoor retailer and outdoor gear manufactures all while pro dirt jump demos, kid mountain bike races, bunny hop contest and so much more takes place. I have a 100,000 sq ft of space to play with so get ready for some fun. It will be kid friendly and we will offer clinics, lectures, and various contest and give aways all weekend long.
The Western NC Scene is just too awesome not to have more exposure for the companies and people who are making a living doing what they love. It is my hope that this type of event will emphasize the fact that we can all help each other by recycling our gear and supporting the businesses that call our region home. More information will of course be mentioned here over the next few months leading up to the event as I wrap up more sponsors and add more events to the schedule. For those that have taken part in the events I have thrown thus far you know how I do it, and Gearheads is going to be the biggest and best event this guy has ever conceived.

Thanks for listening now it's back to business till Ride:30.

Jut





1 comment:

cornfed said...

On behalf of Dicky and I, let me say welcome to the shameless promotion club. I expect your dues check in the mail post haste.