Tuesday, February 3, 2009

I-cycle, I-drink.




Sorry in advance for the rambling post but I am still a little fuzzy from the events of the past few days. The brew crew and I cruised down to Fontana Village for the annual Icycle party/bike race. We got there early on Friday afternoon tapped a keg of some tasty Pisgah Brown Ale and after a pint or two we hit the woods for some bike riding. We rode the short cross country loop then proceeded to make some runs on the downhill course. Greg Dunn, made an appearance and the party was on. More beer and shuttle runs on the DH course, partied at the round house with the Greenville Crew and hooked up with Marshal and Adam then hit the DH course for a few more around 1:30 am just to test the course with the buzz I would mostly have come race time Saturday night.




Saturday. The crew stumbled around till 11:00 eating prerace banana, chocolate chip, marshmallow pancakes from Pisgah Works and drinking 20 cups of coffee. The single speed race started at 1:05 and was by far the best race start time that I have been apart of. Before the start of the race a few of the "top contenders" agreed to stash some beers at the top of the hill by the finish line so as to hydrate before starting our second lap. The course this year was made even faster by having clean lines created by Wes and Crew leaf blowing the whole 5 miles of single track. I went out and red lined from the start. Adam and I were rolling along for the first few miles near the front of the pack. He pulled away about half way through but I figured I would see him at the beer stop. By the time I reached my cold High Life I was breathing so hard I could hardly drink my beer. I stood there trying to down a beer like some little girl in middle school as I watched two single speeds cruise past. I got on the bike beer in hand and proceeded to ride to the first climb and finish most of my beer as I walked up hill. I sat the beer down at the top of the climb and went right back to redlining and holding back the vomit feeling that I had. The second lap was fun and I was proud of myself for not puking or loosing any more places. I got back and learned that Adam Winton (the guy that suggested the beer lap) forgot to stop and drink his, Eric C was taken out while trying to pass Bruce and thought he broke his hand. Bruce (the destroyer) not only drank his beer but finished the last of mine that was still sitting trail side while he did a third lap for fun. So contrary to what the results might say. I figure Bruce won, I took second and Adam (i forgot my beer) was bumped by to third, and we will give Eric C a fourth place just for his troubles.


Now for the fun part... the night time downhill. I signed up for the hardass class meaning no suspension, fully rigid. I took the squishy fork of the Soul Cycle and installed the fat ass aluminum fork that came with the frame. With the addition of the new pimp wheel set from I9 my bike is now 98% aluminum so I took a beating but just considered it penance for any of the bad deeds I have done lately (sure beats the cat o' nine tails I have been doing). The course was smooth for the most part and the lack of suspension made a few sections a little more sketch but it was still a playful course. I noticed that Ryan of 26 West Bike Park fame was on a rigid vintage bike and saw another harsh defeat coming just like last year when my ego was bruised when Kip destroyed me on a vintage fat chance with cantilever brakes. Well luck would go my way this time and Ryan's choice to go with a vintage front derailler derailled him enough to slow him down and allow me to take home the win.




Good times, more beer, dance party, karaoke, then kicking it with some of the fastest dudes who go downhill till 2:30 in the am and I called it..

We woke up slow and were the last ones to roll out of Fontana Village. First ones there, last ones to leave. That's how we do it..

The keg is still flowing on Flint street after two more consecutive nights of partying. I think I am getting a cold so I am done trying to kill that thing. If you need a beer today, stop by the porch on Flint Street and pour yourself a coldie.

Snake Creek Part Dos is this weekend. Look out Dalton GA, this time we're bringing beer.

Jut Rut

2 comments:

Unknown said...

looking forward to hanging with you again at Snake!! Hopefully I finish in time for the party!

You coming up Friday night?

PisgahWorks said...

Congrats on killing the DH course Jut. You were fast as fuhk. Next year cruiser class wars! Last class, last chance.