Monday, July 21, 2008

Taking it back to 1985...

I have been joking about feeling 15 years old all year. Bikes, girls, friends and parties make up my life. As I have said before one day I will start being responsible again but until then I am milkin' it for all it is worth. I did the professional thing for years and rocked it the same way I rocking the good times these days. One drawback from the professional word is that you can't always sport the look you want. I have been getting the same boring haircut for some time now so with two months on the road and a serious disregard for what other's might think of my appearance it was the perfect time to get a new haircut.

The stash just wasn't giving me the bang I was looking for so I had to bring the full fohalk with racing strips back from the eights to get the juice I was looking for. Speaking of the stash... the moustache contest is this weekend on Saturday night before ORAMM. I guess if your badass enough to have a moustache then you should be badass enough to race ORAMM on the day after barhopping with crew of moustached freaks. Since I am officially the most Badass Mountain biker in the World I am certainly not afraid of mixing good times with some suffering. Last year I partied till 3 am and raced ORAMM on a single speed cyclocross bike so there is no way I can top that level of pain and stupidity. But where there is a will there is a way and this year I intend to rock the moustache party and race ORAMM on a new bike that if I am lucky with get to ride twice before taking on the assault. Yea, Jut's taking the Mavric to Mt Mitchell so if you hear AC/DC while your coming down Heartbreak you best just get out of my way. Conversely, if you see me on the side of the trail in the woods feel free to stop and hang out a bit.

The past few days have incredible. Good riding and some rock n roll on Friday. Yesterday I kicked things off with some trail work on Star Gap. Slohio Rob and Beth picked me up and we meet up with Todd Branham and some others to tackle some of the down trees that were slowing folks down on Star Gap and Heartbreak. Remember the big old tree that required a dismount and hoisting your bike up and over as you went both up star and coming down heartbreak. Well, it's no longer there. In it's place is a nice big rock armoured ledge thanks to some dedicated trail workers yesterday. All was going well and we were happily rock hunting when Slohio gets a little to close to a nest of yellow jackets and was stung 6 times. He puffed up and turned a nasty shade of red as he lost feeling in his face. We gave him some benadryl and that helped and fortunately we didn't have to the the epi pin that Steve Stickel was nice enough to give us in case Rob had any major issues as we headed back to the car. We got back to Asheville and watched road racers go around in circles while sitting in the shade drinking pints of the new IPA from the Wedge Brewery. Bennet was the only guy I knew doing the race and we managed to get him DQ for handing him a water bottle (he asked for it). Post bike race the was a party at the Crows Nest with about 8 badass musicians and a car load of beautiful women. We danced till 3am and went through 3 cases of beer, two growlers and half the liquor in the bar. Not a bad way to spend a Sunday.
Jut

1 comment:

Service said...

Jutrut,
Would love to see the pics you got at the Moustache contest.
Jimi