Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Coming in from the cold...

Current Trail Conditions in Asheville - Cold and Fast. With the ground frozen over the riding pace has picked up. Three sweet rides over the past few days come to mind.

Paris Mountain. It was my first trip to Greenville and I was not disappointed. I called up Brad-o and let him know it was time to mix a little pleasure with the business we have been taking care of (more about this Bissness coming soon) a call was made to Big Jay and the ride was on. Denny Stevenson came along for the trip south and we hit the trails of Paris Mountain by riding out of Dennys friend’s backyard. The trails were rock hard and suppa fast. We hit all the high points for a good tour of P. Mountain and as we rode the trail brought back good memories of some the fast and more flowing trails back home in Nashville. It was also a reminder of how amazing it would be if Percy Warner were open to bikes. The trails in Percy Warner had much of the same qualities as the trail system in Paris Mountain but Percy Warner does not have a Big Jay. The SORBA guys got it going on and the ranger has been befriended and they are pulling of some kick ass events and making some sweet in-town riding available for the folks in G’town. I delivered a growler, Denney dropped off some wool, I ate an overly hyped tortilla soup and we were out.

Bent Creek. T Gaines and Eric made a quick trip to Asheville from Knoxville to mix it up for the day and I jumped on board for a sweet ride at b.c. We hit the outer loop of single track and didn't encounter any of the mud that was evidently there just a day or two before. Deep lines carved through the frozen tundra preserved the signs of those who came out and rode in conditions that should not have seen bike tires (come on people?) but on Saturday in 25 degree temps it was so fast! Eric C came out and ripped it on a cyclocross bike, Bruce and I rode single style, and Eric and T Gaines who had not be on trail bikes in a while let us drag them around on squishy bikes.

Pisgah. What can I say about Pisgah that hasn’t been said? The place is amazing and wherever you ride you are all but guaranteed an amazing experience but Monday surpassed my usual love for the place as snowflakes fell and beautiful lines where carved in to the mountain’s canvas on Laurel Mtn Trail. It was short but incredibly sweet as the snow was coming down fast and it was a day I will not soon forget. I hoped to wake up to a foot of snow the next day but and spend the day looking for good hills, plastic sledding devices, and drinking beer however Asheville saw very little of the white stuff as usual.

We didn’t get any snow but we did get a new president, which is actually A LOT better than a snow day. Good luck Obama, you’re going to need it as we are sitting in one crappy diaper right now that is in a desperate need of change. It was nice to see how fast Bush bailed on the scene and it was the first time I have felt good about our leadership in a long time, if ever. So Obama, please don’t fuck me on this one. It’s alright if he isn’t the miracle maker many hope him to be but come on, live up to half of what you say you want to achieve and I will be happy. He sure can inspire the masses and basically, I am hopeful with out being delusional.

I am not making any money at the moment and I saw my name on the ssws09 list today so this year can only get better and I have some good times to look forward. With a life focused on simplicity shouldn’t that be enough?

Cheers to 2009 everybody, hope you all get enough.

Jut Rut

No comments: