Monday, January 12, 2009

Can't stop till I get enough... bikes and tacos in 09..


































Well, in lieu of working a lot I have been putting in the miles and making the most of living in Asheville.


Wednesday. Wednesday if now offically "Fix it Wednesdays". Somewhere along the way of deciding it's time to get back in shape I tought it would be a good idea to do fixie sprints day at the mellowdrome in the rain. Good times, cold rain and I realized that I really need to work on my sprinting as I had nothing when I came to hammering HARD for more than 30 seconds. We will see how it goes after another few weeks of this. No tacos, yet.


Thursday. Thursday is now officially "Band Practice". A crew of us hit Heartbreak Ridge and rode into a 30 hour wind gusts and a snow storm around 3,000 ft then rode the last mile or two on snow and ice covered trails. Everyone made it down alive and we celebrated our victory at Pisgah Brewing Headquarters (the brewery) in style. Still no tacos but it's coming..


Friday. Christmas finally came. I ran in to Jeff at Industry Nine and he informed me that my wheels were ready. I was at I9 as fast as I could to pick up the new wheels then hit Biowheels for French Broad Fridays. Free pints were had and wheels were set up on the Maverick. I rode around town for a bit and could already tell a difference as I made it to the Crow's Nest for Taco and Tequila night in record time. Taco and Tequila party quickly turned into a dance party around midnight, records were spinning, a belt was taken off and you don't really want to know the rest. By 1:00 I was done and already planning for a good ride on Saturday.


Saturday. I was ready to get some dirt on the new suppa white rims. Rain clouds were looming over the Mills River area so the call was made to hit Big Ivy. After a good climb, Bear Pen and Stair Creek did not disappoint. And even after a night of Tacos and Tequila I felt faster on the climb then ever before. Took a few runs on the fun stuff then cruised down the babyhead rock, rolly stick decent with confidence. Headed home to more Tacos and the remaining Tecates in the fridge.


Sunday. The call was made for the second big group ride of 09 with the crew from the new years day ride and a few others. We decided on Turkey Pen as a starting point and decided to have fun and just do an out and back on Mullinax and Squirrel to the river. A strong group of Asheville's finest meant that everyone pushed the envelop and it worked for me as I cleaned more of the roots and rocks up to the top than ever before. The new wheels held there line and my legs just kept the wheels turning and before I knew it we were at the top and I had only dabbed about 4 times. Good ride to the river and back with post ride tacos at Papa's and Beer. Headed home for some serious lounging with one more round of late night nachos


Monday. A little business in the morning meant I could feel good about an afternoon ride. Once again I headed north and hit some of the most amazing trails I have yet to lay a tire on in Pisgah. A good 8 mile climb was rewarded by an amazing 4 mile descent and epic views from 5,000 ft. Good times indeed and yes there were more tacos when I returned home. Not a bad day considering it was the most depressing day of the year.
My life sucks.

Jut

No comments: