Monday, October 13, 2008

Back to the Basics

Getting back to basics here is Asheville. Mountain bike racing and the pursuit of a good time is what this blog is all about and that's exactly what I have been doing over the past week. I have been spending some time in Pisgah in preparation of the Double Dare. Although I have been riding the trails in Pisgah for almost 12 years now I must admit I am a little nervous about what I will encounter this weekend. Day one will bring up to 12 hours of suffering like I have never experienced then I have to get up on Sunday and be ready to start at 6:00 a.m. and do it all again. This will be my first experience with an Eric Wever event and he was cool enough to allow me to race this one having not done the PMBAR, I guess if you are holding the MBAMBW Title you can sometimes get around the rules. Plus, it's not like it's going to hurt the race promoter if I get in over my head, it will be me that will have to deal with the decision. I was feeling prepared both mentally and physically prior to the fun had at Thad and Hillary's wedding last weekend. The wedding was so much fun that as we were leaving and about to ride home on bikes I thought a freestyle maneuver was called for in the parking lot. Well, I now know it is not as easy as you might think to ride on to a car hood on a cyclocross bike. I looped out and came to a rest on the pavement rather quickly with my ribs crushing the can of redbull that was resting in my messenger bag. I don't think anything is broken but I know it's not right. The decision to race the single speed in up in the air and if things don't improve expect to see Jut racing a bike with gears for the first time in 5 years.



The decision to opt for gears and suspension instead of a single speed was only made more difficult after picking up the Maverick (not John McLame) from Suspension Experts last week. Kevin should be given a medal of honor for saving my bikes life and bringing the suspension back from the dead. The Maverick went into battle over the last few months and came out with PTSD and several broken bones. Kevin returned it to me in better shape than when I bought it. The boys over at S.EX know what they are doing and I have learned that a rigid bike is more fun than a suspension bike that doesn't work like it should so do yourself a favor and let Kevin and give your ride some love if your shock not up to par.



Other notes, if you didn't know the Black Keys kick ass! The boys rocked it out at the Orange Peel. They are the single-speed version of rock n' roll if I ever heard it. Just what you need and nothing more.



Speaking of single speeds and rock n roll... The Harvest De Ocho is on! It will be going down on the Day of the Dead, actually the night of the Dead, 11-1-08, in Pisgah Forest. This one's free so bring a bike, a bright light, a costume, and cup for beverages. Details to come soon.



One more thing before I go. As you may have noticed I am racing for a new beer team. Pisgah Brewing has deemed me worthy of sponsorship and will be keeping riders from going thirsty at all of our future events and at Double Dare this weekend. I want to first thank Yazoo Brewing Company for all the good times and good beer they have donated me and the crew over the last few years. We did what we intended to do and changed the Nashville Cycling Scene for good and I know the boys back in Nashville will keep the fire burning and the beer flowing (hey somebody throw an event in Nashville). However, since it is a long drive to have a pint of Yazoo I had to do something and Pisgah Brewing Company saw the vision and embraced it. Check out the new site and be sure not to plan anything for weekend of Nov 1-2, it's going to be good.



Keep it rocking,



Jut

No comments: