Monday, July 13, 2009

I am going downhill fast..

Long time, no blog. In short, there is a lot going on these days. Several real estate transactions are in the works and if all goes according to plan I will cover the rent for a few months and get back to the business of having fun. The R.E. market seems to be picking up here in Asheville and my head is finally back in the game. And speaking of game, I would love to check out this new film that focuses on the foreclosure crisis in CA through the eyes of skateboarders. Bad for homeowners, good for skateboarders. Hell yea score one for the cool kids it's good to know someone is making the most out of California's problems.

As for jut rut.. I have been going downhill fast. I do not mean that my life is out of control or that I am in some dark place. No, life is good and with every shuttle run or trip up a mountain on a chair lift I am going downhill a little faster. I was worried last summer when I bought a full suspension bike that I may one day opt for the downhill (gnar) experience verses the ninja line required by single speed with 85m of travel upfront. Well, I put up a good fight but lately the single speed has been collecting dust and main riding I have done has involved riding street, dirt jumps and going downhill as fast as possible.

I did my first real downhill race a few weeks ago. The Beech Triple Crown was both humbling and inspiring. The race was awesome and it pushed the limits of what I thought was capable of on the bike. I also learned that the Maverick will take quite a beating but there is a reason DH bikes don't have a 69 degree head tube. I give it up to the Maverick for not coming apart on the last step down of the course which required leaving the ground for a good seven ft drop over a good 16ft gap to a three ft lander. It also held up last week during a Windrock beat down with T-Dog and the K-town crew who were all on bikes made for riding 80 degree slabs of rock, 14 ft gaps, and running into - then jumping off boulders. My fourth place, yet still mediocre finish at Beech encouraged me to step it up and if nothing else get a bike made to handle the sort of punishment that feels sooooo good. After a year of feeling content with my bike fleet I once again feel the need to buy a new bike (damn). This time around something must go, the most pimped out surly cross check ever @ 1,300. I also must let go of the ultimate Pisgah hard tail, a Dekerf implant complete with matching fork and one super dank custom paint job (1,000). I have been racing the Soul Cycles this year and the Sycip frame has been collecting cobwebs for months now and it is just too nice to have sitting on the floor so it could be yours too (name a price). I think getting rid of a few odd bikes should cover the cost of this bad boy. Oh, and if someone is taking a trip to the beach or the north pole and needs a pugsly, holla.

Gravity rules all. Don't fight it.

Jut Rut

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

the Demo 7 is exactly what you need!

sick bike!

-Dad